Thursday, January 31, 2008

"That Which Doesn't Kill You Only Makes You Stronger"

I found out about a month ago that I was going to be able to try out for American Gladiators! Wow! This was my dream!! I have seen every episode and couldn't wait to try out! I was perfect for this....I knew I could get on that show.

Try outs are Feb 9th. That gave me plenty of time to work on my agility, wrestling, and tackling skills. I was lucky enough to get help from Scotty, a 6'3" (260lbs SOLID ROCK) member of the greatest SWAT team in the US, the Phoenix SWAT. He taught me how to wrestle, get away from defenders and use others momentum for my advantage. I was starting to really get the hang of it! Now, I was REALLY unstoppable!

On Monday, Scotty and I were practicing the "Gauntlet." (He was holding a pad and I was trying to sprint and spin around him.)

Then it happened... I was spinning around him and my foot got held up on some uneven ground. My knee went one way and my body went the other. Then, I went DOWN holding my knee.


Got my MRIs back: Complete tear of the ACL, partial tear on my Meniscus & badly (internally fractured) bruised bones.


I am now planning the surgery. I am so bummed out right now. Everything is going to be effected. I CAN'T tryout and be a Gladiator this year, I probably won't be able to do a show for a while. My symmetry and many other things are going to be messed up. What am I going to do?!

I have been trying NOT to burst into tears lately. I know I will recover, but I'm just so disappointed. I have been working and training on unstable ground so that I could avoid injury... and look what happens.

I have so much more to say, but I'm in Ohio right now and have a full schedule. It's my Grandpas 90th bday, I am in a wedding on Saturday and my birthday is Sunday! (It's going to be quite the sight; me in a dress, knee brace and crutches hobbling down the aisle. The bride is awesome though, she is the most low-maintenance bride I've ever seen.)Then it's back to Phoenix for surgery.

3 Comments:

Blogger genex magazine said...

Oh no so sorry to hear about that. Hope the surgery goes smoothly and you know we're thinking of you!

14:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Amy,

Get well soon and come back bigger and stronger than ever!

R.J.

07:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, ran across your blog. Sorry about the injury. I had he exact same type of injury and subsequent surgery/repair. Recovery does take a little while. It has been 2 years and the knee still feels odd sometimes. I have been able to keep up with yoga, weight training, and just started back to serious running 6 months ago. Take it easy and be kind to yourself.

12:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home